Top Ten Things To Do in October
It’s October…and that means Halloween! Rachael Hennessy has done the research and picked out her top ten things to do, including several spooky ones!
- October 6 – 31 – Barker Blackout Tours, Michigan City, IN – Experience the history of Michigan City in a spooky way this month! Barker Mansion has been around since 1857, so imagine learning about it’s history while being led by a guide around the pitch-black mansion. While this is not your typical haunted house with zombies and jump-scares, I would not pass this opportunity up. Buy your tickets here.
- October 6 – First Friday, Michigan City, IN – Each first Friday of the month, Michigan City’s Uptown Arts District comes alive for the night. Enjoy the (hopefully) fall weather and spend the night exploring Franklin Street.
- October 6-8 – Outdoor Adventure Festival, Chesterton, IN – This festival will bring together several activities that the Dunes National Lakeshore has to offer. This weekend will be full of hiking, photography, biking, and so much more. Reserve your spot for this weekend early, as there are limited spots available. Best part? It’s free admission!
- October 14 – Spirits at the Inn, Valparaiso, IN – Join us for some cocktails and spirits at the Inn at Aberdeen! This inn has been featured on the show “Ghost Hunters”, as many have seen the ghost of a little girl who had died in the house in the past. This event is limited to 80 people, so I’d grab my tickets soon. It could be quite the experience!
- October 14 – Cat’s Meow Gala, Michigan City, IN – Be at Blue Chip Casino to celebrate 40 years of helping homeless cats find happy homes! This Independent Cat Society is having dinner, cocktails, and a silent auction this night to celebrate wonderful occasion. Not so spooky…unless a black cat crosses your path!
- October 20 – Dark Shores Ghost Bus Tour, Porter, IN – If you find the paranormal fascinating, take a trip on this bus tour throughout Northwest Indiana and experience Indiana in a new light. Creep through a cemetery, visit an old train accident, and more! Tickets are available here, so make sure to grab them soon.
- October 21 – Boo at the Zoo, Michigan City, IN – Here’s a safe trick-or-treating experience to take your little ones to this season. There will be sponsor booths set up all throughout Washington Park Zoo to hand out candy to the kids. Although, as candy supplies are limited, make sure to purchase your tickets before the event in order to ensure your child has a full pillowcase by the end of the night!
- October 28 – Flame + Flair Halloween Festival, Michigan City, IN – This festival is a family-friendly night of dancing, trick-or-treating, and a haunted house! It will be held on Franklin Street in the Uptown Arts District and will be a night you won’t want to miss. Admission is free, so be sure to make it down there!
- October 28 – Haunted Trails and Ghost Stories, Michigan City, IN – Visit Friendship Botanic Gardens for a night of family-friendly stories and scares. Everyone who attends will be able to experience in the gardens in the “Trail of Lights”, an illuminated pathway that gives the gardens a new look at dusk.
- October 1 – 31 – Haunted Railroad and Fall Festival, Valparaiso, IN – This one is a month-long event suited for the whole family at Taltree Arboretum & Gardens. This festival will be full of hayrides, fall foods, hiking, and a contest where you can vote for your favorite scarecrow in The Trail of Scarecrows! Take some time out and visit Taltree for this fun, fall festival.
November 3 is the Save the Dunes 65th anniversary gala, Dune Struck! Tickets are available here.