Top Nine Things to do in August!
August is a hot month for events and we’ve got some good ones. Take a look, mark your calendars and enjoy!
- August 1 – Beer Run (and party!), Valparaiso IN – A great way to start off the month! The best thing about the beer runs is that there are options to fit everyone. Want a shorter run? No problem! There will be 2, 3, and almost 4 mile trails for you to choose from. This time the trails will be located at the Shirley Heinze Land Trust. We’ll also have a bit of food post-run. Brats and veggie options will be available. Just interested in the run, no food? Great! Just bring $6 with you and you’re good to go. Tickets can be purchased here for $15, which includes the run, beer, and food. Extra beer will be available for $5. Let’s bring in the biggest crowd yet!
- August 3 – Waves of Laughter, Michigan City IN – Our comedy show is back and raising money for Dunebrook! Come out to see some familiar faces from last year’s Waves of Laughter while supporting an amazing organization. This year’s comedians are:Colleen Brennan
Gwen La Roka
Janice RodriguezThis show sells out every year and is just around the corner! Grab your tickets here for $20, or $25 at the door. You don’t wanna miss one of the most popular events of the summer.
- August 3 – Northwest Indiana Symphony Concert in the Dunes, Gary IN – Enjoy some beautiful tunes with our dunes as the perfect backdrop. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is bringing back the NWI Symphony Orchestra for another concert at West Beach. This 40-piece orchestra will be under the direction of Conductor Kirk Muspratt for a two hour performance. What a unique way to enjoy the dunes and watch something spectacular unfold in front of you. Well worth the time out of your day. Better yet, swing by anytime starting at 5:30 and you can get dinner from a variety of food vendors as well. A night that shouldn’t be missed!
- August 3 – Taste of Michigan City, Michigan City IN – Taste of MC returns once again! The annual Taste is something I’ve been going to for many years and I do my best not to miss it. Live music, food, kid-friendly activities, a beer garden. What more could you ask for? This year, the Taste falls on the 3rd and 4th of August, from noon to 11:00PM. That’s plenty of time to stop by, try a few dishes from vendors such as Chickpea Fresh Mediterranean, Patrick’s Grille, or Barker Pub, and wander down Michigan City’s uptown district. Also, on the 4th will be the Super Boat Parade at 6:00PM! Lots to do, lots to see, and fun for everyone!
- August 4 – Chesterton Art Fair, Chesterton IN – The 60th Annual Chesterton Art Fair will take place in Dogwood Park. This year will include over 100 artists from all around the country, specializing in a series of different mediums. You’ll find everything from pottery to hand-made jewelry, to silkscreen to paintings, and more! Of course, there will also be a series of food vendors and live music to enjoy while you shop. The fair will run from 10:00-5:00PM on Saturday the 4th, and from 10:00-4:00PM on Sunday the 5th. Tickets can be purchased online here, $5 for one day or $7 for both days.
- August 5 – Henna Body Art Class, Hammond IN – Head to Byway Brewing and learn about the origins of the temporary tattoo. Then, learn how to apply the henna stain. No experience necessary and a beer is included in the price. Reserve your spot here.
- August 12 – Indiana Dunes Beach Clean Up, Chesterton IN – This event is very near and dear to our hearts. Our beaches throughout NWI are beautiful and should be taken care of by those who visit them. Take some time out of your morning to help return the Dunes to their natural state. Gloves and trash bags will be provided as well as separate bags for recyclables. More information regarding location and times can be found on the event’s Facebook page that is linked above.
- August 12 – 2018 Prairie Magic Music Festival, Valparaiso IN – This music fest celebrates rock, bluegrass, folk and Americana music set right in the heart of a beautiful County Park. This year’s Prairie Magic Music Fest will include Devon Allman with special guest Duane Betts. Opening for Devon Allman will be Joe Marcinek, and Funky Mojo Daddy and Big Road from Boulder Junction, Wisconsin will be ending the night for us. Of course, you can’t have a music fest without some food! Craft food and beer will be available for purchase. Tickets may be purchased in advance here. There will even be a student discount if you show your ID at the door! Enjoy a nice, relaxing night of music at Sunset Hill Farm County Park.
- August 18 – Bacchus and Beer Fest, Michigan City IN – It’s back! Join us once again for the Bacchus and Beer Fest located at the Friendship Botanic Gardens. Over 15 breweries and wineries will be present for you to enjoy while wandering the gardens. Up ‘N Smoke will also make an appearance, along with live tunes played by Danny Moore. Purchase your tickets here ahead of time!