Top Eleven Outdoor Patios in Michigan City
Feature photo: Sunset Grille
While starting to compile our annual list of outdoor dining, we reached over ten perfect patios without even getting out of Michigan City! So this year we have decided to post a few separate lists so that you can discover lots of places to eat outside in the dunes area. First up is our list of top eleven in Michigan City. (In no particular order).
Have one you want to add? Please comment and let us know!
- Sunset Grille – Located right on the beach in Michigan City, Sunset Grille is the area’s only rooftop beach bar. Enjoy concession style food on the lower level, table service and bar up top. Sunset Grille also plans to have “sunset social hours” every Thursday with drink samples, specials and even chef take-overs. They will also have live entertainment on Sundays. You can keep up with all their events on their facebook page!
- Bartlett’s Fish Camp – Bartlett’s Fish Camp sits on the marina with a gorgeous view of the water. It has the region’s only raw oyster bar as well as many seafood dishes and locally sourced meat. Enjoy a beer on the deck while listening to some live music and watching the boats go by. More information here. DF
- Bridges Waterside Grille – At Bridges you can hang out on the deck and watch the historical Amtrak Bridge turn when the train comes rolling by. Located along trail creek, Bridges has an amazing selection of wine, beer & cocktails, great casual fare, and downstairs the kids can even feed the ducks! Read about them here. DF
- Arcadia – This outdoor patio overlooks the Michigan City harbor. See the iconic lighthouse as you dine on fresh fish, pizzas, salads, burgers and more. Watch the amtrak roll by as you sip a martini, cocktail or craft beer. Outdoor bar and fire pit! New menu coming this summer! Follow them on facebook here. DF
- Barker Pub – Kick back with some great local brews, delicious grub, and enjoy! Bar and games outside. Great burgers and weekday specials. More info here. DF
- Cool Runnings – Relax, you’re on Jamaican time at Cool Runnings! Feel like you are on vacation and enjoy a Red Stripe, some jerk chicken and lots of other authentic Jamaican dishes on their outdoor deck. Follow them on facebook here.
- Dune Billies – Just down the road from Cool Runnings, Dune Billies is the perfect patio for breakfast & lunch. Located across the street from Bismark Hill, at Dune Billies you can enjoy live music with Johnny V every Sunday. The avocado toast is delicious and so is the coffee! DF
- Matey’s – It’s always a party at Matey’s! Choose from one of the many decks to perch atop Michigan City and watch the cars and people walk by. Matey’s is open late night, offers a full menu, lots of drink specials and music. View their website here.
- McGinnis Pub – Sit around the stone fire pit on cooler nights or enjoy lunch under an umbrella at McGinnis Pub. They have a great beer selection, full bar, and fine Irish fare — just steps from Lighthouse Place Outlet Center. More information here. DF
- Blind Pig Tavern & Grill – Located on hwy 12 across from Karwick Plaza, Blind Pig has a wonderful outdoor area with plenty of sand for the kids to play in. There is an outdoor bar and lots of open air seating. More info here.
- Emita II – We couldn’t do our outdoor patios list without including the Emita II, which is docked at Millenium Plaza in Michigan City. This tour boat run by Harbor Country Adventures is a must for everyone! Sit out on the water and watch the dunes and beach roll by. The Emita II has a cash bar and this summer they are going to have lots of fun events and special tours — several with Dig the Dunes! (see story on harbor parties and sunset cruises here). Follow them on facebook here.
Want to learn about more places like this? Be sure to sign up for the Dig the Dunes weekly e-newsletter, today, right here!
DF= Dog Friendly