Top Eleven Events in July!
Can you believe we’re already a month in to summer? Luckily, there’s still plenty to do this season throughout Northwest Indiana. Here’s eleven things you can check out this July:
- July 1 – Lightning Bug Music Festival, Valparaiso, IN – Kick off this July at the beautiful Sunset Hill Farm County Park in Valparaiso. This music festival runs from noon until 8 PM, so you can enjoy a full day of music in the park. Tickets can be purchased here early for $36, and for $45 at the door the day of. All proceeds from ticket sales benefit kids in need to attend camp at the Dunes Learning Center and Duneland YMCA. This isn’t something to miss!
- July 4 – Spectacular Firework Show, Michigan City, IN – There’s no better way to spend your Fourth of July than watching fireworks. Get together at Washington Park Beach this coming Independence Day and enjoy food, the beach, and a wonderful show. Admission to the beach for the fireworks is free, although if you are not a Michigan City resident and/or do not have a sticker, it will be $8 to park at the beach. There will be plenty of places close to the beach to park for free, it’ll just cost you a little walking.If you live far from Michigan City and want to see a firework show closer to you, you may be in luck! Check out this website for more information on Fourth of July events of all kinds.
- July 6 – Warhol: Icon & Influence Opening Reception, Michigan City, IN – Andy Warhol was one of the greats who left an impact on art forever. This art exhibit will include not only work from artists that have been inspired by Warhol, but original works by Warhol himself! Join us for the opening reception that will include lite bites and is free admission. If you’re busy the day of the reception, you’re in luck! The exhibit will be running until October 13.
- July 8 – 2018 Running Wild for the Zoo 5k, Michigan City, IN – Time for another 5k! This time, 100% of the proceeds go back to the Washington Park Zoo. Get some exercising in while helping out the local zoo, there’s no downside! You can sign up here.
- July 9 – Let’s Go Plogging!, Michigan City, IN – What’s plogging? It’s jogging while picking up trash! Fourth of July weekend always leaves behind a huge trail of trash all over our beach. This will be the perfect, fun way to give back and clean up after a busy holiday. We all love and appreciate our beaches, so this will be the perfect time and place to help out. All the information regarding this event can be found on the event’s Facebook page.
- July 13 – Taste and Tribute Concert, Michigan City, IN – Enjoy local artist Johnny V play a tribute to Neil Young and the Classics. You can experience a taste of Michigan City’s Up N Smoke food truck. Family friendly as well, so take some time out of your evening, grab some food, and listen to some nostalgic tunes.
- July 14 – Americana Music Fest at Acorn Theater, Three Oaks, MI – It’s almost time for Acorn Theater’s first music fest! This will be a big one, featuring 4 national and local artists: Chicago Farmer, Ryan Joseph Anderson, The Blisters, and Monte Pride & Vanessa Gerber. All ages are welcome and different ticket options are available here. A general admission ticket gets you in to see the bands, but a VIP ticket includes a meet and greet, a free drink, and a unique, screen printed poster! Let’s kick this new festival off right.
- July 14 – Dunes Day, New Buffalo, MI – Tired of training or working out indoors? Dunes Day is the way to go! Join Sharpley Training at Warren Dunes State Park for training in the sand. Register to train at their website here.
- July 28 – REI Women’s Campout: Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Porter, IN – Here’s a fun and inspiring weekend for our ladies! All ages are welcome to sign up for a weekend full of kayaking, paddle boarding, yoga, and more. There will be a lounge area set up for use, but remember your camping gear. And, of course, you must be 21+ to consume alcohol. You can register at REI’s website here.
- July 28 – Lakeshore PBS Explore the Outdoors, Valparaiso, IN – This event has got to be the best one next month for the kids. Explore the outdoors at Meadowbrook Nature Preserve, one of my personal favorite places in Valparaiso. There will be crafts, hikes, and demonstrations and will be held completely outside, so don’t forget snacks, sunscreen, and all other outdoor necessities! The best part? It’s free and open to the public!
- July 28 – Gatsby at the Gardens, Michigan City, IN – Of course, we can’t forget about this one. Our second annual Gatsby at the Gardens! Last year was a blast, so we’re bringing it back once again. If you didn’t make it out last year, be sure to this year and dress up, enjoy some live jazz, stroll the gardens, and play 1920s lawn games like bocce ball. Tickets are available online here, each of which includes 4 cocktail sample tickets, beer samples, and light appetizers.
Want to learn about more fun events in the area? Sign up for the Dig the Dunes Weekly e-newsletter today!