The Top 11 Events of December
The cold and snowy days of winter will soon be upon us. Whether you’re looking to warm up inside or soak in the holiday wonder with a Christmas Eve walk outside, we have something for you. There will be ample opportunity to find the perfect present for yourself or someone else, catch up with friends or have a drink at one of the many local events going on this month. Don’t let the busy-ness of December stop you from marking your (new Dig the Dunes) calendar with these exciting events!
- December 1 (rescheduled to December 8) – Michigan City Snowflake Parade, Michigan City, IN- The Michigan City Fire Department is hosting the Snowflake Parade. The Real Housewives Of LaPorte County Food Drive will be walking in the parade and collecting canned goods!
- December 4 Create Your Own Beach Glass Ornaments & Wine Charms – Patrick’s Grille, Michigan City, IN- Adorn your tree and wine glasses with these adorable holiday ornaments. Customize your beach glass angel ornament with whimsical wire techniques and beading. Impress your guests this holiday with customized wine glass charms made with authentic beach glass, colored wire and beads. And as a bonus, make your very own Dig the Dunes ornament made with natural materials from the shores of Lake Michigan. All these projects are rolled up in 1 class for only $45. Class includes one angel ornament, choice of wine glass charms, Dig the Dunes ornament, all materials, instruction, and choice of beer, wine or cocktail. Come on out and have some holiday fun!
- December 7 – Take a Walk on the Wild Side – Lou Reed Retrospective, Gary, IN – The Nelson Algren Museum of Miller Beach Presents Lou Reed Retrospective
with Special Guest Rolling Stone contributor and University of Pennsylvania professor Anthony DeCurtis will discuss his 2018 biography Lou Reed: A Life
Followed by a multi-media event and special Lou Reed musical tribute performed by Anthony DeCurtis and back-up band. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-914-2574 For tickets visit Eventbrite.com
- December 7 – Holly Days, Valparaiso, IN – Kick off the holidays as Downtown Valparaiso comes to life take in the sights and sounds of the holiday season. Enjoy train rides, live entertainment, ice carving, strolling carolers, Live Nativity, fire performers and more. Stroll through the decorated streets and visit your favorite shops for their annual holiday open houses. Dine at one of our unique restaurants and enjoy specials and treats throughout downtown. More information can be found here.
- December 7 – Dig The Dunes Calendar Release Party, Michigan City, IN – Join SFC Gallery as we welcome Dig the dunes and the winning photographers for their 2019 Calendar Contest to the Uptown Arts District in conjunction with the December First Friday Art Walk. Photos from the new calendar will be on display for the duration of the month in the gallery.
- December 8 – Beer and Wine Lovers Holiday Bazaar, Michigan City, IN – Head to Arcadia on December 8 and sample drinks while you shop! We will have beer, wine and spirit tastings and over ten vendors with gifts just for the beer and wine lover in your life! Ceramic beer mugs, custom wine glasses, wine glass charms, beef jerky and more! Tickets may be purchased here. Just shopping? Stop by, because it’s FREE.
- December 8 – Swedish Pancake Breakfast, Porter, IN – Join Dunes Learning Center for a fun family event! We will celebrate the season with Swedish pancakes and lingonberry syrup, as well as traditional pancakes and maple syrup. Enjoy folk music and seasonal Swedish fun, including the Santa Lucia tradition. Local author and historian Ken Schoon will speak at noon about his new book, Swedish Settlements on the South Shore of Lake Michigan. After you eat, head over to Chellberg Farm to see the animals, tour the farmhouse, and enjoy the Friends of Indiana Dunes, Inc. “Holiday Traditions in the Dunes” program with Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Tickets may be purchased here.
- December 14-15 – Hunt & Gather Holiday Market, Crown Point, IN – Over 150 amazing artisans and vintage curators. Full bar, Gourmet Food and Live Music. All indoors, $5 general admission.
- December 15-16 – Christmas at the Mill, Hobart, IN – Take a winter walk around the park and see the mill decorated for the season. Also stop in the park’s gift shop to make an ornament, buy hot chocolate and finish your Christmas shopping.
- December 16 – Santa Dash Trail 5k, Michigan City, IN – We are heading to Creek Ridge County Park for this year Santa Dash. You will complete two laps around this park to achieve the 5k distance. Course could contain mud, ice or snow who knows. All runners will receive a Santa Hats so come on out! ONLINE SIGN UP HERE.
- December 24 – Christmas Eve Morning Stroll, Chesterton, IN – Bring the whole family and join us for our annual Christmas Eve walk through the dune forests to relax and enjoy the spirit of the season! Meet the Park’s Interpretive Naturalists at the Nature Center at 10 a.m. to begin this 1.5-hour walk to explore the winter life and beauty of the dunes. A warm campfire with holiday treats and hot cocoa provided by the Friends of the Indiana Dunes will welcome all upon our return to the Nature Center.
Want to learn about more fun events like this? Be sure to sign up for the Dig the Dunes weekly e-newsletter!