Get outside…and eat! Our top eleven outdoor patios in the dunes.
It’s time for our 2021 outdoor patio list! This year we have decided to focus on Chesterton, Porter, Michigan City and some of the lake communities. (We wanted to bring you patios closest to the Indiana Dunes State Park, National Park and the lakefront). There are so many great patios in the area and we know we have missed many, but after talking to our staff, these were the ones that stood out to us.
(posted by location..all are equally great!)
- Sunset Grille, Michigan City. At Sunset Grille you get the beach, the sunset, a rooftop bar, live music and great food. This outdoor spot has once again opened this year after a hiatus last year due to covid. Make sure to check them out! Please note there is a parking fee. (more info here)
- Fish Camp, Michigan City. Known for delicious seafood and great service, Fish Camp also has one of the best outdoor patios in the area. Located in the old Michigan City yacht club, you get waterfront views, live music and they are dog friendly. You can also jump right across the parking lot for more casual fare at Base Camp. (more info here and here)
- Matey’s, Michigan City. Those looking for a party should head here! You feel like you are on vacations when dining or enjoying a drink on one of their multi-level decks. Matey’s has fun summer themed drinks, live music and a great new menu. (more info here)
- Zorn Brew Works, Michigan City. The patio at Zorn always feels like a good time. It’s spacious, there’s a fire pit, a few games and it’s dog friendly! Zorn also has lots of live music and has many taps with lots of local brews and a full menu. (more info here)
- Bridges, Michigan City. At Bridges you can hang out on the deck and watch the historical Amtrak Bridge turn when the train comes rolling by. Located along trail creek, Bridges has an amazing selection of wine, beer & cocktails, great casual fare, and downstairs the kids can even feed the ducks! (more info here) Dog friendly!
- Anderson’s Winery, Valparaiso. Nestled along the vineyard off of Hwy. 6, Anderson’s Winery patio is the perfect place to while away a Sunday afternoon. They have live music on occasion and are serve wine, beer and blended drinks along with a light menu. Look for their special events and workshops. Dogs are allowed on the patio. (More info here)
- Ivy’s Bohemia House, Chesterton. Ivy’s Bohemia House has a wonderful eclectic menu and full bar which you can enjoy on their elevated deck that overlooks downtown Chesterton. A great spot to people watch and relax in the sun. Especially during the Chesterton European Market. Dog friendly. (more info here)
- Lucrezia Café, Chesterton. Want to feel like you are dining in an Italian trattoria? Lucrezia is where to go! Amazing Italian food, delicious drinks (half priced wine bottles on Mondays!) and an intimate and beautiful garden where you can enjoy your meal. (More info here)
- Wagners, Porter. Wagner’s deck is tucked out back and many don’t even know it’s there! Once you walk outside, you feel like you are in a different world. Enclosed, it’s a large space, yet remains cozy. The ribs are delicious and there’s always a great beer on tap. (More info here)
- Goblin & The Grocer, Beverly Shores. Goblin & The Grocer is one of the newest spots to make the list. Their deck is one of our favorites. Overlook Dunes Hwy. 12 as your enjoy beer, wine, cocktails and a delicious menu. There is live music on weekends and they are dog friendly. (More info here)
- Dig the Dunes Trail Stop, Portage Lakefront. Well, we couldn’t let you go without mentioning Dig the Dunes Trail Stop! This waterfront destination is perfect for enjoying a beer or glass of wine, pizza, paninis and more! Trail Stop is currently the only place to dine and enjoy an adult beverage right inside the National Park (at the beach!), Trail Stop is a must stop while visiting the dunes. Live music (planning Thursdays and Sundays starting in June) as well as lots of fun events. They are dog friendly, so bring the whole family out for a beach day and then stay for the sunset. (More info here)
Oh wait! One more….Leeds Public House, Michigan City. We almost forgot to mention Leeds which has an awesome patio right in uptown. Sit at the open air bar, by the fire pit or under the canopy. Leeds has amazing cocktails, a great beer & wine list and a delicious menu. (more info here)
Want to read about more fun stuff like this? Be sure to sign up for the Dig the Dunes weekly e-newsletter, right here! Did you know that several of these restaurants offer discounts to Dunies? What’s a dunie? Find out right here!
We value your input! Do you have a favorite outdoor patio? Let us know!