Winter is finally here and there is no getting around it. Our biggest snowfall so far this year is forecasted for this weekend and the temps are about to get cold. So…’tis the season to embrace it! Many have been asking about ski rentals in the area. Here’s what we’ve got for you.
- Paul H. Douglas Center for Environmental Education, Miller IN – The Douglas Center is open every day but Sunday from 9-4. They have both cross country skis and snow shoes available to check out. And, it’s FREE! They teach school kids during the week at times, so you may want to call ahead, but normally they have a large selection to choose from. The Miller Woods trail is right outside the Douglas Center and has a nice loop as well as an out and back. All is relatively flat and great for those that are just learning. (Please note: Douglas Center may be closed during the government shutdown. Call ahead!).
- Indiana Dunes State Park, Chesterton IN – Head to the Nature Center where you can rent snow shoes for $5 for a 4 hour period. The Nature Center is open Wed-Sun from 9:30 – 4:30. Right outside the center are several different trails and you are welcome to head out on any of them. You are certain to find cross country skiers out there as well, as it’s a favorite spot for many.
- Lemon Lake County Park, Crown Point IN – Ski Rentals available Friday-Sunday and school holidays. Cost is $7. First come, first serve. Eight miles of easy to moderate trails. Ideal for beginners. More information here.
- Stoney Run County Park, Hebron IN – Ski Rentals available Friday-Sunday and school holidays. Cost is $7. First come, first serve. Seven miles of trails. Designed for intermediate to advanced skiers in mind. More information here.
- Madeline Bertrand and Love Creek Nature Center and County Park, Berrien Springs, MI – Love Creek is an amusement park for winter lovers. They are open Wednesday thru Sunday from 10-5pm. Ski and Fat Tire bikes are available for rental and they have several groomed trails (and some un-groomed) at all different levels. Follow on Facebook for updates. There is a fee to get into the park and cost for rentals is $10 adult/$5 youth. Madeline Bertrand has night skiing available on select dates.
Get out there and enjoy! Please remember to tag Dig the Dunes with any of your snow photos. We’d love to see them! #DigTheDunes
Don’t miss out on informative articles like this! Sign up for the Dig the Dunes newsletter today!