Coffee talk: Here’s the buzz on the 10 best coffee houses to hit this summer.
Memorial Day weekend is over and summer has hit us in full force. Here at Dig the dunes we love our coffee, but with the temperatures rising, hot coffee seems a little less appealing. We decided to scour Northwest Indiana and SW Michigan for some of the best coffee houses in the area. We asked each one what they’re offering this summer to keep us cool and in some cases, still feed our caffeine addiction. With the help of our social media followers (through an online poll) we began our search for a summer alternative for our favorite caffeinated, hot drinks.
(in no particular order)
- Dagger Mountain Roastery (Valparaiso) – Dagger Mountain doubles as a roastery and coffee shop, sourcing many coffee shops in Northwest Indiana. They have many summer options including their own Kyoto Drip Coffee (cold brew), an Iced Miel (local organic honey & cinnamon), and an Iced Mocha. During the warm summer days, Dagger Mountain opens up its unique, warehouse style door to let in the cool breeze.
- Blackbird Cafe (Valparaiso) – Located right on E. Lincolnway in Valparaiso, Blackbird is a great spot for any occasion. They have outdoor seating available as well as some incredible, cafe-style food. Blackbird has many summer options, but their Italian Soda definitely is one of their best. It’s tangy and fruity flavor mixed with it’s refreshing fizzy taste makes it a perfect refreshment during the summer.
- Third Coast Spice Cafe (Chesterton) – Just north on Hwy. 49 in Chesterton is where you can find Third Coast Spice Cafe. Third Coast offers a classic and casual dining experience with a friendly staff and some delicious summer options. Third Coast told us that they pride themselves on their freshly squeezed orange juice. We gave it a try and believe us, you won’t be disappointed. They also offer fresh lemonade and their own Sweetcicle Slushy.
- Red Cup Cafe (Chesterton) – This place is bursting with summer options! Red Cup has nitrogen infused coffee, smoothies, and all different types of sodas. We tried the Blueberry Basil Soda and it had us zinging! It is not only infused with nitrogen to give it a cold foamy texture but it is also caffeinated with green coffee beans. Everything is organic and the caffeine content is even more than your typical cup of coffee.
- Lakeshore Coffee & Specialties (Michigan City) – Planning a trip to the Lighthouse Outlets in Michigan City? Head right across Wabash St. and enjoy a cold drink from Lakeshore! We have heard time and time again about how incredible Lakeshore’s smoothies taste. Whether you’re meeting someone, need a break from shopping, or simply need a drink to help you cool down, Lakeshore is the place to go.
- Arturo’s Baked Goods & More (Michigan City) – Popular among our readers is Arturo’s Baked Goods & More. Arturo’s seems to have no end to their baking abilities. Not only do they have a bakery fit for a king, but they also offer cold drinks to go along with their baked goods. They offer smoothies, frappe’s, iced coffee, and iced tea. Don’t forget breakfast every Saturday morning!
- Rocky Mountain Cafe (LaPorte) – Need a coffee shop to stop at before work? Rocky Mountain Cafe has a drive-up to make your stop quick and easy. If you feel like sitting inside and hanging out for a while, you can do that too. The interior is clean and easy on the eyes. Rocky Mountain offers a strawberry smoothie that is sure to keep you coming back for more. We suggest adding whipped cream because whipped cream and strawberry go well together.
- Temple News Agency (LaPorte) – Woah! If you’ve never been to Temple News Agency, get up and go right now! When we asked about their summer drinks they introduced us to their Matcha Frappe, which is essentially a green tea smoothie. It was unlike anything we had ever tasted before. Not only is it healthy, but it is extremely refreshing. Temple News Agency has an interior with character and offers music nights, ice cream, and more.
- David’s Delicatessen & Coffee (New Buffalo, MI) – For all you Southwest Michiganders, David’s Delicatessen & Coffee is for you. Not only do they offer a full menu complete with sandwiches and other cafe style items, but they also have nitro infused coffee, a house made Japanese Iced coffee, and Iced Latte’s. David’s is located right in the heart of downtown New Buffalo at 30 N. Whittaker St.
- Needmore Coffee Roasters (Chesterton) – Needmore is a woman-owned small batch coffee roastery located in Chesterton. Their coffee can be purchased at several locations around the area as well as each week at the Chesterton European Market. And what says summer more than the European Market? Last week we headed out to the market to purchase our local produce and products and a Needmore iced coffee was just what we needed to cool us off on a hot day.
Thank you to Stephen Lehman for taking the time to hit the road and review all these coffee houses as well as take some wonderful photos! If you are interested in doing reviews or similar style blogs for dig the dunes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Feature Image: Dagger Mountain Roastery by Brittany Hicks