Feature photo: Otis
He is more than (wo)man’s best friend – he is your hiking buddy, your partner in crime & adventure, your pal, your dog in the dunes.
For those who always have a four-legged friend with them, here is a compilation of some of the trails, beaches, restaurants, breweries and activities throughout Northwest Indiana that you can enjoy together!
Dog friendly beaches:
- Lake Street, Miller – There’s a designated dog beach on the west side of Lake Street in Miller. Dogs are also allowed east of Marquette Park on the residential area beaches, but there’s not really public beach parking throughout that area.
- Central Ave. Beach – Pines- Dogs are allowed on leashes
- Kemil Beach and Dunbar Beach – Beverly Shores – Dogs are allowed with leashes
- Lakeview Beach – Beverly Shores – Dogs allowed with leashes
- Indiana Dunes State Park – Chesterton – Dogs are allowed with leashes to the right of the pavilion
- Portage Lakefront – Portage – Dogs allowed on riverwalk, but not beach
**Service dogs are an exception to any pet rules and are allowed to accommodate their owner to all parks
Dog Friendly Trails:
Dogs are fortunately allowed on most trails in the area on a leash.
- Glenwood Dunes Trail System – due to horse being permitted on the main trails
- Great Marsh Trail – Beverly Shores – due to being a populated wetland ecosystem.
- Nature Play Area – the area located on the east side of the Paul H. Douglas Center where the main parking lot is fenced off.
Dog Friendly Parks/Gardens
These are the off-leash parks in the area
- Bluhm Park in Westville
- Creek Ridge County Park in Michigan City
- Luhr County Park just south of LaPorte
- Portage Dog Park in Portage
- Perry Ferrini Dog Park – Schererville
- Lemon Lake Dogwood Run – Crown Point
- Wiggley Field Dog Park – St. John
- Wicker Memorial Dog Park – Highland
- Royal Acres Dog Park – Valparaiso
These are on-leash larger parks and gardens
- Friendship Botanic Gardens – All trails are open to dogs on a leash
- Coffee Creek Watershed Preserve – Chesterton – All trails are open to dogs on a leash
- Bailly Homestead and Chellberg Farm – Porter – Dogs are allowed on leash
- Gabis Arboretum (formerly Taltree) – Valparaiso – Allowed on a leash
**Most city-owned dog parks require permits
Dog friendly restaurants.
We recently updated our top 20 outdoor patio list and have included the restaurants that are dog friendly. You will find a “DF” next to each restaurant that allows dogs on their decks.
Dog Friendly Breweries.
- Windmill Brewery – Dyer – Allows dogs inside seating area
- Crown Brewery – Patio Only
- Wildrose Brewing Company – Griffith – Patio only
- Back Road Brewery – La Porte – Allows dogs inside seating area
- St. John Malt Brother – St. John – Patio only
- Bulldog Brewery – Whiting – Currently constructing a patio, which will allow dogs
- 18th Street Brewery – Hammond – Patio only
- Zorn Brew Works Co. – Michigan City – Patio only
- Brew Fast – Highland – Patio only
- Ironwood Brewing Company– Valparaiso – Allows dogs inside and outside
- Figure Eight Brewing – Valparaiso – Patio only
- Four Fathers Brewing – Valparaiso – New patio!
- Aftermath Cidery – Valparaiso – Patio only
- New Oberpfalz Brewing – Griffith – Patio only
- Shoreline Brewery – Michigan City- Patio under construction, dogs allowed once open
- Burn ‘Em Brewing – Michigan City – Patio only
Are we missing someone? Let us know!
Days for dogs.
- Friday May 17th, 2019: Valpo Police K-9 Unit 5k & 1 mile dog walk Valparaiso, IN
- Saturday, May 25th, 2019: Paws & Pints
– Sunset Hill Farm – Valparaiso, IN
- Saturday, June 8th, 2019: Lakeshore PAWS Pup Crawl – Valparaiso IN
- Saturday, July 13th, 2019 Bark in the Park – Chesterton IN
- Saturday, August 18th, 2019: Woofstock – Valparaiso, IN
- Saturday, August 24th, 2019: Dog Days 2019 – La Porte, IN
- Sunday, September 15th, 2019: Cause 4paws Gary 5k Run/Walk – Hammond, IN
Dog friendly stores.
These are all chains, but a few are in our area. It’s good to know!
COMING SOON! Dog friendly area’s in SW Michigan. We’d like to thank our sponsor, Haymarket Taproom located in Bridgman MI – who will be included in this list!
Do you know of some other dog-friendly areas that we didn’t include? Please let us know and we will add them! Info@digthedunes.com
Want to learn about more stuff like this in the dunes? Be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter!