15 unique holiday shopping ideas in the dunes.
Updated for 2016!
Sometimes holiday shopping can seem like such a chore. Here are some ideas that will make it fun…and you won’t just be checking off those Amazon wish lists, you’ll be giving your loved ones something unique…and local!
- Head on over to the Uptown Arts District in Michigan City. The holiday lights are up and things are feeling quite festive over there! There’s everything from art galleries, unique shops like The Nest, Beach Bum Jewels, Urban Soles and Darling and even restaurants like Fiddlehead or 100 Washington (just down the street) where you can grab a bite to eat while grabbing a gift card. Lakefront Salon always has some great gift baskets and stocking stuffers ready for purchase as well as gift certificates.
- It’s no secret that Dig the Dunes loves craft beer. One of our favorites is Burn ‘Em Brewing, also in Michigan City. How does spending a Saturday afternoon in their tap room sound? A couple beers for you and some merchandise, a growler and gift card for them!
- Everyone loves to be pampered! How about a gift certificate from Aqua Spa Nails in Chesterton? The folks there are so friendly and very talented when it comes to holiday designs. So while you’re picking up your gift card, be sure to get a manicure or pedicure and spruce yourself up for the holidays!
- The Miller Beach Arts and Creative District is another great place to look. You’ll find beer there (18th street), unique shops like Lake Street Art Gallery, Beach Art Studios, and Indie Indie Bang Bang. Be sure to stop in the Marshall J. Gardner Center for the Arts. There’s a good chance there will be an exhibit going on if you are there over the weekend.
- Who doesn’t love making a trip over to Three Oaks, Michigan? Put together a package for the one you love while experiencing it all yourself! How does dinner and a concert sound. Grab a gift card from Journeyman or Staymaker and then a certificate to Acorn Theater. Stop in at Froehlich’s for a unique gift and a delicious homemade sandwich!
- Coffee, Coffee, Coffee. Everyone loves coffee! Think a little different this year and forego the Starbucks card for something local! Dig the Dunes is proud to have four of our favorite coffee shops in our directory and we suggest you check them out. Red Cup and Third Coast in Chesterton and Dagger Mountain Roastery in Valpo all have some great holiday gifts to choose. Needmore Coffee Roasters sells their coffee online and at several local spots. Check them out!
- Beer…coffee…how ’bout wine? Did you know that Good to Go (in Chesterton and Valpo) has a Wine of the Month Club? There are several options to choose from and the lucky recipient of the gift will get wine each month for whatever duration you choose. They will also receive 20% discount on many items at Good to Go as well as be able to participate in some special members only exclusive events. And while you’re there signing them up you can check out the wine bar in Valpo with flights of both wine and beer available as well as some amazing food.
- Staying healthy is important all year long, so why not give the gift of good health? We’ve been able to work with some wonderful people who are offering all sorts of packages for the holidays. TroyBuilt Fitness offers personal training and classes, Sacred Dunes in Michigan City offers acupuncture, massage and more, Revitalize Massage Studio in Chesterton has great massage gift certificates and we can’t forget Yoga! Bleu Lotus and Yoga Mecca are in Chesterton and Yoga with Lauralee Sikorski is in Michigan City.
- Here’s a fun one! Book a night or weekend somewhere in the dunes and have a “Staycation”. Beachwalk in Michigan City has some amazing homes and great packages this time of year. Tryon Farm Guest House is also in Michigan City. This boutique hotel is the perfect get away that is close to home, yet will make you feel like you’re on vacation. North Star properties has a variety of houses in both Indiana and Michigan.
- Want to give a gift to the person who has everything? There’s a pretty good chance they have not had Hypnosis with Randi Light! Enlightened Living Hypnosis is your warm and welcoming place to learn, overcome and heal. Give Randi a call at 219.929.8726 and she will find the perfect package for that person on your list.
- Looking for a natural/organic product? Green Housewives Bath Company is as eco conscious as possible! Each and every product is made from natural raw ingredients in small batches to ensure freshness. You can order their products online at greenhousewivesbathco.com – or get a co-op membership at Creme de la crop. Each month the receiver of this gift will get a box of fresh organic produce!
- How about some art? We have several wonderful artists in our directory and even sell some art in our online shop. Pottery, paintings, photography….get something unique to the area! Or how about an art class at the Chesterton Art Center? There are all sorts of classes for both children and adults. Everyone can use a little art in their lives. Look for special workshops as well.
- If it’s not a material gift you want to give, why not prepare a home cooked meal for that special person in your life? Now that is something that is really coming from the heart. You can get some wonderful ingredients at Nature’s Cupboard or Molly Bea’s Ingredients and take some cooking lessons to prepare yourself at Nana Clare’s (cooking classes can also make a great gift!). Cooking not your thing? You can get them some pre-cooked (and very healthy) meals from SHIFT.
- So many local restaurants in the area are offering great deals when you purchase a gift card. Bartlett’s is offering a $25 gift certificate with every $100 ordered and Lucrezia is offering a $20 card for yourself with a purchase of $100. Feel free to peruse the Dig the Dunes restaurant directory for some ideas.
- And finally…everyone has a dunes lover in their life! Please head over to the Dig the Dunes online shop where you can find dunes tees, hoodies, calendars, decals, jewelry and more! Your support keeps us going!!—-
If you are looking to give just a little more, there are some wonderful non profit organizations in the area that are working very hard to keep our dunes beautiful. Shirley Heinze Land Trust and Save the Dunes could always use a little help! And a pass to the Indiana Dunes State Park is a wonderful last minute gift!
We hope this list helps! Just remember to get out there and have fun! If you’re finding the holidays are stressing you out, be sure to take a trip to one of the wonderful beaches or trails in our area. That is sure to give you some peace of mind. Just take a deep breath and look at all the beauty that surrounds you….and keep diggin’ the dunes!