Top 12 Things to do in April!
April is a busy month here around the dunes! There were too many things to do to narrow down to only ten, so here’s the top twelve things to do this month.
- April 1 – Easter Egg Hunt at Friendship Botanic Gardens, Michigan City, IN – A family fun event to get the kids excited this Easter! Go check out the 105 acres of land at the Friendship Botanic Gardens this Sunday for a FREE egg hunt! After the hunt, each family can go have a photo taken with the Easter Bunny himself. How fun!
- April 5 – Family Nature Night, Valparaiso, IN – Here’s another free family event! This nature night hosted by the Isaak Walton League will include a number of booths showcasing learning experiences and even some wild animals! Make your way out to the Northview PTO for this educational night.
- April 6 – Kids Night at Barker Mansion, Michigan City, IN – Enjoy hide-and-seek, a pizza party, and more at Michigan City’s Barker Mansion! This would be a great way to introduce your kids to some of the history behind the beautiful mansion. It is $10 per child, which covers all activities, food, and a little gift for them at the end of the night. You can find tickets here!
- April 11 – Beer Run at Friendship Botanic Gardens, Michigan City, IN – Now here’s something for the adults: a beer run! This will be the second beer run hosted by Dig the Dunes, and this time it will be hosted at Friendship Botanic Gardens. It’s 3 miles of trail running, follow by a beer! Of course, there will be more beer that you can purchase separately while you’re there. The cost per ticket is 6 bucks, which you can find here.
- April 14 – Brews in the Dunes, Chesterton, IN – How does an afternoon sampling of sampling hundreds of beer sound this month? If this is right up your alley, mark this event on your calendar! This will be the first ever Brew in the Dunes, so let’s make it a good one. Tickets can be purchased here, and even if you decide to go last minute, tickets will be available the day of. If you’re a beer lover, this isn’t something to miss!
- April 15 – Desserts & Brews: The Ultimate Beer Pairing, Michigan City, IN – What kind of beer would pair with your favorite dessert? Have no idea? This is the event for you! Sweet Melissa Desserts will teach you the flavors of 5 desserts and 5 beers and explain how they match up perfectly. Is there a downside to this? I don’t think so! Tickets are available here – but hurry! This class is limited to 40 people.
- April 15 – Paul Nelson “Riding the Rails of History”, Portage, IN – This one is for anyone curious about the history behind the South Shore Railroad. This hour-long documentary will be presented by the Lake County Historical Society, where they are “committed to preserving and sharing the history of Northwest Indiana to our communities and neighboring cities and states”. Let’s take some time to learn a little more about the state we live in.
- April 21 – 4/20ish Party 2018, Michigan City, IN – Enjoy live music and a variety of brews at the 3rd annual 4/20ish party hosted by Burn ‘Em Brewing! This is an all-ages event, so even those under 21 can come out and enjoy some tunes. This is an all day party, so come at any time and have some fun. Tickets can be purchased here. If you purchase tickets beforehand, you’ll save yourself $5! And even better – kids under 12 are admitted for free!
- April 21 – Beer in the Buff Festival, New Buffalo, MI – April must be a busy beer month! Here’s another fun festival out in New Buffalo to check out. This is going to the best first Beer in the Buff Festival, and it will showcase over 15 local Michigan breweries and 60+ different craft beers for you to try. This is a rain-or-shine event, as it will be tented, so there’s no reason to miss this one. Get your tickets now, as they will not be available the day of.
- April 22 – Dig the Dunes Botany Hike, Three Oaks, MI – Explore the Warren Woods State Park in Three Oaks and see spring ephemeral wildflowers. Those who participate will learn a little about the physiology and history of the beautiful plants along the way. The walk will be on a relatively easy path, so it would be nice for a leisurely stroll. It is limited to 20 participants though, so I would recommend getting your tickets as soon as possible.
- April 24 – Brush and Brews at Matey’s, Michigan City, IN – Here’s another one of our Brush and Brews events! This one will be hosted in Matey’s Chart Room. You can bring your own beach glass to use if you would like, but if not, some will be provided. You can purchase a ticket here, and the price includes all of the supplies, instruction, and one drink.
- April 28 – Chocolate Walk, Valparaiso, IN – Okay, who doesn’t love chocolate? This will be Valparaiso’s 4th annual chocolate walk! Take a walk around Downtown Valparaiso and receive a tasty chocolate sample at each treasured destination. Take your time and even grab some lunch to balance out all that chocolate. Tickets can be purchased here, but they are limited, so don’t miss out!
Looking for more fun events? Be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter, right here.