9 Things to do in the dunes AFTER work
The days are getting longer and the weather is getting warmer (well, the weather is SUPPOSED to be getting warmer!). You head home from a busy day at work and all you want to do is sit on the couch and watch TV. No! There are so many better things to do. Get out, get going and get motivated. Here’s a list of nine fun things you can do after work that will make you feel ten times better!
- Go to the beach and watch a sunset. There are many areas along 12 where you can drive and end up right at the beach. After dinner, grab the kids and the dog, hop in the car and head to the shore. If it’s chilly stay in your car, if it’s nice get out and take a little walk. Either way, watching the sun set is a great way to reflect and appreciate life. (Good spots that are free: Kemil Beach, Dunbar Beach, Portage Lakefront)
- Go for a run. Yeah, we know that sounds exhausting. But, a run or brisk walk can really energize you. Still need motivation? Come to one of Dig the Dunes Beer Runs! Yes, that’s right…enjoy a beer after a run! Our next one is on May 2 at Burn ‘Em Brewing. Run the trails at Tryon Farm and relax when you are done with a snack and some brews!
- Take a class. Dig the Dunes is now offering lots of different classes that are offered on weeknights. One of the more popular ones is our beach glass art class. Classes start at 6:00, so it’s a great way to get out with your friends, have some dinner, maybe a drink and relax after a day at work. See full list here.
- Go for a hike. With the days getting longer, you actually have time to go out and hit a trail! Take a look at our list, find one that looks like the right distance, grab some snacks and go. Take your camera and get some photos in the evening light.
- Hang at a winery. What’s better than hanging at a local winery or brewery on a nice spring day? Relax with a glass of wine or beer, grab some charcuterie and talk about your day. (Try Shady Creek in Michigan City or Dablon in Baroda). Our full list of favorite breweries and wineries are right here.
- Take a drive. A drive down dunes hwy. 12 is the perfect escape! Head down tunnel road (Kemil) and check out the trees in bloom. Go along the shore in Beverly Shores and take a look at the beach, or head to Portage Lakefront and grab a refreshment at Twisted Citrus which will be opening soon!
- Walk downtown. Many of our dunes towns have nice downtown areas. Window shop, grab some ice cream or just enjoy the small town quaintness of our area. Go to a neighboring town to see something new.
- Go out to eat. Yes, this one’s a little obvious. You’re tired after a long day at work. Let someone else cook for you! See some of our favorite restaurants right here.
- Become a Dunie! If you haven’t heard about our new passport program, you have to check it out. Get your passport and you will have lots to do! Get your passport stamped, get discounts at all sorts of locations, including Dig the Dunes and start exploring and experiencing the dunes! Get your passport now.
Want to learn about more things to do in the area? Be sure to sign up for our weekly e-newsletter!